LACEY-The checkpoint involved a coordinated process designed to ensure very little inconvenience to the motoring public. Over 750 vehicles passed through the checkpoint. Motorists were provided informational brochures as part of Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office and Lacey Township Police Department efforts to raise awareness regarding the dangers of impaired driving.
The intent of the operation goes well beyond the enforcement efforts taken during the checkpoint. Not reported in the statistics regarding the checkpoint are the number of persons who made the decision not to drive while impaired, as word quickly spread after the initiation of the checkpoint at 10 p.m. on Friday night. The operation was funded in part through a grant provided by the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety as facilitated through the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office. The remaining expenses were funded through the Drunk Driving Enforcement Fund.
Some of the police activities during the checkpoint operation included, but were not limited to the following:
DUI Checkpoint Arrests & Charges
- Drug Possession with Intent to Distribute Arrest – Officer Dimitri Tsarnas arrested and charged 25-year-old Nicole Fava of Forked River with multiple drug charges, including but not limited to: Possession of Cocaine, Possession of Marijuana, Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Distribute, Possession of Hydrocodone, Possession of Hydrocodone with Intent to distribute, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Her bail was set at $100,000 – no ten percent option. After criminal processing at police headquarters, Nicole Fava was transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility in lieu of the bail. The vehicle she was operating was seized for possible forfeiture proceedings.
- Warrant & Drug Possession Arrest – Officer Andrew Slota arrested 31-year-old Greg Nelson of Forked River for an outstanding Monmouth County Sheriff’s Department warrant for $6,578 for child support and child neglect. Greg Nelson was also charged with Possession of Heroin and Possession of Marijuana with bail set at $5,000. He was processed and transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility in lieu of the bail. In addition, he received a traffic summons for CDS in a Motor Vehicle.
- Drug Possession Arrest – The passenger in Greg Nelson’s vehicle, 25-year-old Nicole Post of Forked River was also arrested for Possession of Heroin, Possession of Marijuana, and Possession of a Hypodermic Needle. She was processed and later released and receiving a criminal summons for the charges.
- Drug Paraphernalia Arrest – Officer Andrew Slota arrested 21-year-old Matthew Conrad of Forked River for Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. He was processed and later released after receiving a criminal summons. The vehicle he was operating was impounded for further investigation of possible criminal activity.
- Warrant & Criminal Hindering Apprehension Arrest(s) - Officer George Resetar arrested 24-year-old Deandre Boone of Bayville for an Ocean County Sheriff’s Department Warrant in the amount of $9,804 for Child Support. He was also charged with Hindering his own Apprehension (Providing a False Name to Law Enforcement) and Obstructing the Administration of Law. Deandre Boone also received traffic summonses for Suspended Driver’s license and no seatbelt. He was transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility in lieu of the bail.
- Underage Consumption of Alcohol – The passengers in Deandre Boone’s vehicle were also charged with offenses. The passengers included 18-year-old Joseph Barton 4th of Barnegat who was charged with the Underage Consumption of Alcohol as well as 18-year-old Davon T. Boone of Waretown who was charged with Hindering Apprehension. Both subjects were served with the charges and released.
- DUI Arrest – Officer Dimitri Tsarnas arrested 39-year-old Todd Giaccio of Waretown for DUI. He was charged with DUI, Refusal to Submit to Breath Tests, Reckless Driving, and Careless Driving. His vehicle was impounded pursuant to John’s Law. He was processed at headquarters and later released.
- DUI Arrest – Officer Robert Flynn arrested 18-year-old Victoria Maulbeck of Waretown for DUI. She was charged with DUI, Underage DUI, and Reckless Driving. The vehicle she was operating was impounded pursuant to John’s Law. She was processed at headquarters and later released.
- DUI Arrest – Officer Evan Androcy arrested 18-year-old Madison Schiebler of Bayville for DUI. She received summonses for DUI and Reckless Driving. The vehicle she was operating was impounded pursuant to John’s Law. She was processed at police headquarters and later released.
- Underage Consumption of Alcohol Arrest – The passenger in Madison Schreiber’s vehicle, 20-year-old Thomas J. Materiale of Waretown, was issued a charged of Underage Consumption of Alcohol and later released.
- Immigration Detainer – Agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrested 30-year-old Angelica Morales of Forked River for a citizenship matter. ICE agents placed a detainer on Angelica Morales and lodged her in the Ocean County Correctional Facility. Officer Julie Barcalow provided the police transport.
- Warrant Arrest – Officer Evan Androcy arrested 28-year-old Ashley Campbell of Ortley Beach for an outstanding Toms River Township warrant for $105. She was transported to headquarters, processed, and released after posting bail.
I would like to thank all of the personnel from the assisting agencies and would like to provide a special thanks to the Lacey Township police officers who did an exceptional job before, during, and after the operation. – Chief David A. Paprota